In recent times Google has been going on and on about changing search as we know it. According to the latest reports, soon, applying SEO techniques will become almost irrelevant.
This came up during a discussion at SXSW when Matt Cutts talked about changes Google is trying to implement. The focus of the new google search changes is to provide a level playing field when it comes to search engine ranking.
Once the changes are effected, sites that don’t know anything about SEO and provide quality content will begin ranking high together with optimized sites. In fact, some less optimized sites may end up ranking better than the ones that are optimized.
Listening to Matt Cutts talk gave people the impression that Google wants to help sites that do not know anything about search engine optimization. There are sites out there that have very unique and rich content that internet searchers never get to visit.
Knowing that search engines main agenda is to improve user experience, Google will definitely go all the way to better their search results. By the look of things internet browsers should be jumping up for joy since search results are about to get even better.
One thing about google search changes is that they may be to your site’s advantage or disadvantage. It would be foolish to know about algorithm changes and ignore them.
From the latest announcements, Google is simply saying that your main focus should not be optimizing your site but rather generating rich and helpful content.
But you may ask me, does it really matter if I read this article or not? On one hand Google is sharing techniques that you should apply to be in their good SEO books and on the other hand telling you that SEO will matter no more.
Do you think Google is confusing online marketers and webmasters by posting contrasting messages? Submit your opinions in the comment section provided below this article.
How will the new Google Search Changes affect online business as we know it?
What is really worrying most SEO experts is that sites that have already been applying SEO tactics may be hit by the new google changes. Though this may appear like the case, the question that SEO marketers should be asking is how they have been implementing their SEO.
If you are the type who over optimizes your content and forgets about quality then you have a reason to worry. These changes will be good for small online business bloggers who are yet to understand how SEO works.
It will even get better for small online business entrepreneurs who share quality content. Google’s main focus has always been to find a way to bring into the fore, best content whether a site has been optimized or not.
In short, very soon you will see sites ranking high even though they do not have keywords in their title tags. This is in an effort to make sure only insightful and valuable content get to users.
In line with the upcoming google search changes, here is what you can and can’t do to make sure your site ranks high in search engines result pages.
Here are the Do’s
– Update your site or blog regularly with fresh and original content.
– Write captivating stories that will cause a buzz in your niche. Generate content that captures people imagination and readers will share your content on social sites thus helping your articles go viral.
– First impressions really matter, thus make your site’s visual appearance worth a second glance. Use colors and text that are friendly to the eye.
– Subscribe to sites that have updates on what is happening in the SEO arena. This includes sites like Search Engine Land, Web Pro News and SEO Moz.
– Work on your onsite optimization by including keywords in your title and your description META tags. Add keyword phrase within your content but make certain they make sense and flow with your content.
– Your site navigation should be friendly to both human visitors and search engines. Link your webpages with relevant anchor text. This will help retain visitors on your site and improve the ranking of your individual webpages.
– Only use relevant keywords within your title and body of your articles. Learn the preferences of your target audience in terms of search. Ask yourself what people would put in the search box in order to find you. This includes your business name, name of your products or services and so on.
As you target keywords, seek to rank for other relevant terms. For example, if your main keyword is web designer, you can also target keywords like website developer.
– Know your audience; if they are the kind of people who are always on the move, make your site mobile friendly. In cases where your visitors are always on social sites, build your reputation and presence on relevant social sites.
Here are the Don’ts
– Do not seek to rank just for the sake of it. Make sure by the time you rank high your content is good enough to improve your visitors’ user experience.
– Do not make is difficult for you to improve your site structure by uploading unfriendly templates and using complex coding. Remember that site navigation is important for user experience and search engine bots Crawling.
– Do not get caught up with implementing SEO tactics at the expense of your content quality. Rather, focus on strategies that will ensure a lasting relationship with your site visitors.
– Only optimize your site for relevant keywords. This means that you should avoid targeting keyword phrases that are not related to your site content. Focus on key terms that are in line with your site objectives
It may come as a surprise to you but most companies even the big ones know nothing about SEO. From the look of things, soon these SEO clueless sites will be the big beneficiaries of upcoming google search changes.
The people set to suffer are those who concentrate so much on what engine spiders are looking for and forget that their main target should be human visitors.
If you are the type that targets to rank for a certain keyword without considering whether your article is providing solutions to the said keyword, you need to be wary.
Rather than asking: how many times should I mention my keyword? You should be asking: is my content providing my target audience with what they are really looking for?
The mistake most SEO marketers do is getting fixated with optimization to an extent they forget that offering helpful content is the key to online business success.
Remember, the needs of your target visitors should come first then make money later. Do not apply deceiving tactics for example targeting a keyword like IBM computers while your article is about website templates.
Has Google search really changed?
In essence nothing seems to have changed. What is happening is that Google is making strides at differentiating between crappy and valuable content.
It also goes to show the lengths at which Google intends go to make sure users get the best results as they search the net.
Last year, Google said they updated their algorithm over 500 times. This year is not going to be any different going by Google search announcements.
If you did not know, Google has technicians who are always updating their algorithm on a daily basis. To be fair to webmasters, Google does announce some of these changes.
If you have to maintain your online visibility then you must be keen to read, watch or listen to every statement Google makes. Otherwise, you might end up chasing shadows on the internet.
Knowing what Google search entails does not give you the license to use short cuts to rank high. It may work for a while but with the constant algorithm changes you will soon be caught with your pants down.
Learn what works and what doesn’t then tweak your site to be in line with want google wants. But the one thing you can never and will never go wrong doing is PROVING QUALITY CONTENT.
Summary: SEO is here to stay and my reason of saying that is because engine spiders will never be as intelligent to tell exactly what high quality content is or not.
Spiders will still depend on human being to tell them the value of a site.
Believe it or not, you have not had the last of google search improvement or google change. If it is about proving their dominance or improving user experience, google search changes are here to stay.
Rather than waste time discussing on what Google should do or don’t do, spend that time giving google what they want. Otherwise, start your own search engine and compete to be number one and set your own rules and regulation.
At the moment Google rules and from the look of things they have coughed and all sites will get infected. The writing is on the wall and the story of google search is yet to unfold some more.
Am sure SEO experts are feeling like they have been short-changed. Probably, they have gone to great lengths to know what google is looking for then someone else with no care of SEO ends up ranking higher.
If you think this blog post will help your friends to better understand how google search works, use the social buttons on the left to share with them.
Subscribe to Work Online From Home by Email.
Author: Stephen Kavita
Subscribe to my RSS feed.