According to the google SEO guide, one of the important elements of increasing page ranking apart from content is link building. How you direct your links can influence your blog or site ranking either positively or negatively.
Over the years there have been myths surrounding link popularity. Today, we want to unravel these myths and see the best way forward as far as google SEO guide is concerned.
Most traffic on the internet is generated through search engines and research show that Google takes up 2/3 of this traffic. It is for this reason we specifically want to look at how to rank on Google. If you can get it right with Google, then chances are that you will also rank well with other top search engines like Yahoo, Bing and Ask.
The first question we want to diagnose and answer is; what is the importance of links as far as google SEO guide is concerned?
- Links help you generate direct traffic whenever people click on them
- Links can be hyperlinked with certain text to help search engines know what your site is about thus rank a site with those words. Also called anchor text.
- Links add the SEO value of a domain in that all the webpages created within that domain increase in page rank
- The words within a link help search engines know what the site is about.
- When links are hyperlinked to a certain page, they add the SEO value of that page thus boosting its presence on search engines.
For a link to add SEO value of the receiving page it has got to have content that is related to the receiving page. In addition, the link needs to be of high quality for the receiving page to rank even better.
In the 90’s this was not the case, a site just had to have many links directed at it and it would rank high. Today, the ball game is entirely different and this can be demonstrated with the latest panda algorithm change.
Google SEO guide dictate that links coming from within a quality write up are of more value that links from a site’s sidebar or footer. Furthermore, whether you have 2 links or 100 links from one article pointing to your site, the link juice (link power) is the same.
This then raises a big question, according to SEO guide what is considered as a quality link?
Here are basic Google SEO guides that you need to look at when building backlinks to your blog or website:
- Consider the quality or strength of the sites you are linking out to
- Make certain that the links pointing to your site are related to your content
- As you build backlinks to your homepage you should also link to individual webpages within your site
- When creating webpages, link the pages with your homepage and other webpages within your site
If all the google SEO guides are followed to the letter, you can be assured of high page ranking on major search engines and definitely high volume of targeted traffic. It is imperative to note that direct traffic will react differently to your content compared to search engine traffic.
The reason for this difference is because direct traffic is more targeted than organic traffic from search engines. This now brings as to the next important aspect of Google SEO guide; how do you determine the page rank of a site that you want to link back to your site?
One of the ways to determine site rankings though this is thought not to be so accurate is checking a site PageRank (1-10 PR). Some of the indicators to look at include; whether a site page ranking is among the top 5 pages of search results for targeted keywords.
If that is the case, then it is OK to get a back link from such a site or blog. Once you have determined the sites to link to and to which pages within your site, you need to use your targeted keywords as anchor text.
Anchor text are the words that you will use as hyperlinks. There are two major roles that anchor text play as far as Google SEO guide is concerned;
1. Anchor text tells search engines what your content is all about. For example, if your site is about work from home, you can have phrases such as work online at home opportunity, work from home online jobs, home based business opportunity and the like as your anchor text.
2. The words you have as anchor help you generate direct traffic. Though the words “Click here” are not good to use since they are not your targeted key terms, they can help you get visitors. This is mainly because they call people to take action. Therefore, use catch keywords as your anchor text.
Google SEO guide experts advise that you do not use only one phrase as anchor text. Find other related keywords phrases in your niche that you can use. This will make your link building appear natural thus rank faster and better.
With all these google SEO guidelines it is obvious you need to approach link building step by step. Work on your link profile gradually, from web page to web page. Having this in mind, it is therefore not advisable to buy backlinks.
Google released an article on link building stating the strategies that would negatively affect your site page rankings. This is in relation to links pointing to and from your site or blog.
It stated clearly that you should not buy links or point to spam sites (Link farms). Though you may rank well for a while, it will not take long before search engines realize this and take your site to the sandbox.
Conclusion: Avoid underhand tactics to boost your site ranking. It may seem as a short cut to good page ranking, but black hat strategies will in the long run hurt your online home business.
Be patient and use the laid down google SEO guidelines and you will enjoy the benefits for days to come.