RSS Feeds offer webmasters and bloggers an opportunity to update people in their niche on a continuous basis. RSS stands for (Real Simple Syndication). As the meaning reads, online marketers are able to broadcast notifications to their RSS feeds subscribers every time they publish new content.
RSS feeds is therefore one of the best means of getting repeat visitors. This happens when visitors that find your blog resourceful subscribe to your RSS feeds. This means that they will get updates of all your future blog posts.
If you visit most blogs, you will notice a weird orange button mostly at the top bar or side bar. This orange button is where the link to the RSS feed is contained.
Ideally, your feeds relay information to other sites about your blog content. This bots relay information every time you update your blog, which ensures you generate traffic since people are constantly searching for new content.
I realize that some people do not love RSS feeds on their blogs but one thing is for sure, for you to make more money online you need traffic. Therefore, any online marketing strategy that helps grow your site or blog should be embraced.
Tip: There are also other ways of people following blogs other than through RSS. Google Reader is probably one of the best. Therefore once in a while head over to Google reader and post your good content.
There is still much debate on whether to use full feeds or shorten them. Experts in work online marketing suggest that you use both and your readers will decide which of the two they prefer to follow.
For those that are yet to create a mailing list for email marketing, you can use RSS to enable you send your blog posts to email newsletters. But it is recommended that you create your own mailing list and you can achieve the same with a site like Feedburner.
Once you start getting subscribers then you can automate your email marketing through a site like Aweber.
Sometimes RSS can break and all it takes is a rear character in your blog title. To ensure your RSS feeds are validated you can create a free account at a site called FeedValidator.org.
It is important that you submit your feeds to top search engines and RSS directories. Some of the top directories to submit to include a sites like Syndic8, FeedPlex, RSS Network, Search4RSS and RSS Micro.
One site that offers great RSS feeds is Feedburner. With Feedburner you are able to access many tools to make your feeds look pretty and share the feeds on social media networking sites. Feedburner is normally categorized in 5 categories.
- Analyze: This category helps you know how many people have subscribed to your feed and where they are from. Here you are also able to see how many of your feed subscribers have viewed your RSS feeds and clicked on them.
- Optimize: This is where you get to podcast your RSS feeds to iTunes, blog aggregators and search engines. Here you get to make sure that every blog post you publish is also submitted on search engines and iTunes.
- Publicize: This is the section that helps you to cross promote your content. With this secretion you will be able to pass the word around about your RSS feeds through social media sites.
- Monetize: Here is where you get to make the money by adding Google Adsence links to your feeds.
- Troubleshootize: This acts as the support section where you can access to general tips on how to manage your RSS feeds. If you are having any trouble with your RSS then here is where to go.
People claim that Feedburner has been on the decline from the time Google acquired it. Personally, I use Feedburner and I think you need to use it before you give your opinion. A good chunk of my traffic is from my Feedburner.
Tracking of traffic is also very important and Feedburner has helps me in this regard. All you need to do is give permission to just specific sites that repurpose your feeds like twitter and facebook.
You may be asking why you need to use RSS feeds in your small online business. Here is why…
1. With your content going to all your feed subscribers, it can take just one blog post and your content turns viral.
2. Feeds contribute greatly in boosting your search engine placement and ranking.
3. Apart from organic traffic, RSS feeds will aid you generate traffic when people click on your feeds.
4. With Feeds installed you will increase the chances of other bloggers in your niche to link to your blog or website.
5. RSS feeds help in crawling and indexing of your content by search engines much faster.
This goes to show just how beneficial RSS feeds can be to your small online business if you start using feeds as one of your online marketing arsenals. Most bloggers that use feeds for traffic generation are yet to harness its full potential. This is in terms of podcasting their RSS feeds thus increasing their search engine ranking.
For those that have known the secret behind feeds online marketing are why ahead of their competition. Hence if you want to see your blog traffic sky rocket, take your time to study and properly implement RSS feeds marketing.