List/Grid Tag Archives: legit online jobs
If you are looking for part time or legit home based jobs then the best places to look are at freelancer.com or oDesk. Though for me freelancer work is like being going to a 9am – 5pm job, but I know some people would not mind. Therefore this article is meant for folks who are finding it difficult to land a freelance job online.
Many employers who post home based jobs on freelancer sites say there are many applicants but the challenge is identifying the right person to hire. This goes to show that your portfolio plays a major role in your quest to land online home based jobs on freelancer sites like oDesk or Freelancer.com.
The two things you need to ask yourself are;
a. Which are the projects that you have accomplished and are proud of?
b. Would these accomplishments necessitate employers to hire you?
With these two questions in mind, here are the 6 secrets of assisting you land home based jobs on freelancer websites:
1. Work on your job description: Ideally, in your job description you should talk of your goals and not your needs. Employers normally have specific projects thus they are seeking for specific people to hire.
Let us take a scenario where your description is talking of your ambition to grow your business, this will simply be bypassed by would be potential employers. So as to get home based jobs, use keyword phrases that are related to your skills.
For instance, if you are good at work from home marketing or search engine optimization, mention that in your description since that is the task you are seeking to be hired in. A good description is the one that focus on what you are talented in and what employers would want.
Remember that your description is the only chance you have to convince someone to offer you an online job. Best description is the ones that is friendly and conversational and not just listing your skills. Rather than listing your talents describe them e.g “I’m skilled in search engine optimization that help rank high on search engine result pages.” Or “I’m able to write keyword based articles that promote websites online.”
2. Focus on your best skills: Though it is possible to have many talents and skills, it is advisable that in your description to focus only on your best expertise. Some people think that having many skills will get them home based jobs, in fact that will repeal employers.
Always emphasis on the skills you know you produce high quality work. This can be in one or two areas only that it should not be in more than 4 niches. This is especially so to skills which are not related such as article writing and programming.
3. Describe each of your portfolio: It is always imperative to fill your project description textbox. Here you need to write captivating stories on how you accomplished pervious online home based jobs and tasks.
You may begin by stating what your main task was and how you went about addressing your contractor’s problem. Just remember to make it brief and to the point.
4. Upload professional pictures: It is said that a picture speaks a thousand words, which is very true. You must upload a professional picture if you want to get home based jobs on freelancer sites.
It is not necessary to go to a professional, but you can dress smartly and then get a nice headshot picture. Wear clothes that you would go with to an interview since this is the only face to face encounter the employer will have with you.
Remember to make a good first impression and a smile will go a long way in enhancing your chances of getting home based jobs on freelancing sites. Employers want to work with serious people thus do away with the hats and casual wear.
5. Think of yourself as a product: Ideally, there are things that would make you pick a product on a supermarket shelve. These include the images, brand name and descriptions that have been used. The same should apply to your freelancer profile.
Assume that your profile is your packaging and your description as the words that compel employers to pick you and leave out the rest. Your skills should act as the capabilities of what your product has to offer.
The secret is to design and package yourself in such a way that attracts your targeted home based jobs over and over again.
6. Upload screen shoots and links of your latest projects: To win home based jobs you need to show what you can do. The best way to do that is uploading the latest projects that you have accomplished. If you are good at article writing, upload a screenshot and a link to your previous good articles.
It is recommended that you delete old projects from your portfolio. This is because you keep on getting better in your skills and you want employers to see your best work.
When you were starting freelance home based jobs, you may have to pick many different projects but with time you should narrow down to what you are passionate and an expert in. After you identify your area of interest, you need to delete the jobs that do not reflect your expertise.
If you consider some of your old projects to be relevant to your skills, you need to revamp these old tasks by applying for new and advanced online jobs. This will help you boost your portfolio thus keep on getting the best home based jobs and deals.
Summary: Experience is vital in ensuring you land new home based jobs, therefore you should learn new things from every project you do. It is this experience and growth that employers should see in your profile description.
Apart from uploading your previous work from home projects, you also need to tweak your portfolio a bit so as to convince employers to consider you for a contact.
At every opportunity you get, do not be afraid to showcase the exceptional tasks that you have accomplished. Seek permission from your current employers to upload links and screenshots of your successful projects for other would be employers to see.