It has been an active year for Google with the many algorithm updates that have been taking place. Let us do some SEO analysis and see how the updates have affected sites in general.
Google has been the top search engine commanding 2/3’s of the traffic that is generated by search engines. That is why when you are doing SEO analysis you simply cannot ignore Google. Each year, Google states that it does over 500 changes to their algorithm coding.
According to google, there are over 200 hundred signals or parameters it uses to rank sites. It is likely that one of these parameters can have a positive or negative effect to your site rankings. The one algorithm change that caused a major uproar on the SEO industry was Panda Update.
SEO analysts are now debating on the new algorithm change that google says is to measure ads-to-content ratio. The big question is; what will google use to see what appears to be above the fold within a web page?
There is no doubt that come 2012, Google is sure going to implement the content-to-ads ratio. According to Matt Cutts of Google, the testing for measuring this parameters is been conducted. The algorithm also known as “above the fold”, will be aimed at ensuring adverts do not interfere with reading of content.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Is penalizing webmasters and bloggers for ads they have placed on their sites right? Share your comments in the comment section provided below this write up.
According to SEO analysis, this change has not been implemented as of yet. But you can be sure it will be done next year and there will be lots of fallout as far as ranking of sites is concerned. Do not be caught off guard; it is important that you make the necessary amendments now so as not to be a victim.
Google Fresh might have been the latest algorithm change this year but by the look of things, online marketers need to brace themselves for more updates. Google is not going to relent on their quest to offer users uniqueness, relevancy and originality.
Though Google has not revealed all their algorithm formulas due to competition and gaming, they are been transparent to some of these signals that have helped marketers in SEO analysis and ranking.
Late in the year, that is in November; google announced it had implemented over 10 changes. This included:
- Gone are the days when you would get in the search results a page filled with ads and useless content. These sites are also known as parked domains. The algorithm that really took care of these kinds of sites was Panda updates.
- Refinement of relevant queries: This means that rather than always giving you results that are similar to your search query, if you enter a rare word in the search box the results will be more specific. For instance, if you are searching for [two column blue template], search engines will not give your results that contain blue templates alone.
- Summary content on google search result will now be more of what is contained in the body of an article and not from the header or menu content.
- SEO analysis that have been done reveal that long tail keywords are been given more comprehensive page indexing. This means that webmasters and bloggers have to work on long tails keyword phrases since they will rank higher.
- Retrieval of content originating from cross languages: There is very little content that is shared in languages such as Swahili, Afrikaans, Welsh, Serbian and the likes. Google will now translate the English content to the said languages and feature them in their local search result pages.
- Freshness Update: This was the lasted algorithm change that google announced this year. SEO analysis of Google fresh is said to affect 35% of searches. The aim was to ensure that fresh content is noticeable to a certain degree depending on relevant searches query.
- According to SEO analysis, one of the ways to generate traffic is optimizing your webpage images. Google updated their search formula to include signals that will display images that are fresh and relevant.
- Google algorithm will now give more emphasis to official authority websites. This in short means that top websites will rank higher which makes begs the question, what will happen to the small home based business entrepreneurs? Share your opinions on this in the comment section provided below.
- Originality is an integral part of making sure you rank high on search engines result pages. Google announced that they have added signals that will predict which among two related pages is the unique one.
Google has so much dominance that it can affect the web presence of big firms like Yahoo. Not taking any credit out of Google for its effort to rise to the top of the murky waters of internet business, has it infringed on their competitors?
I raise this question because of something that SEO analysts have noticed when it comes to searching. Did you know that while you are logged into your Gmail account search results are biased? Keeping your Gmail account logged in while searching the net shows you results that you previously searched.
According to most SEO analysts, this denies internet browsers access to a variety of information. When you are searching, you should get results that do not bind you to your own opinions. This issue was brought to the fore by a book titled The Filter Bubble authored by Eli Parser.
It would be much better if search engines offered a wider perspective in their search results. Then, why is Google putting a bottle neck by proving their users with biased information? The idea of displaying fresh and unique content is welcomed, but why give good content with one hand and then take it away with the other hand just because am logged into one of your products?
Conclusion: Above are SEO analysis of the past year that have greatly affected the online world. One thing that comes out is that algorithms do not have the privilege of using a sixth sense like human beings. No matter how much they claim searches are targeted, engines spiders cannot truly tell what searchers are really looking for.
If you want to get the best results for whatever you are searching for, log out from your accounts, clear your cookies and you will maybe get exactly what you are looking for.
To keep getting updates of the fresh and unique SEO analysis on the internet marketing arena enter your email address below or at the section provided on the sidebar. Also feel free to share this article with your friends using the social buttons appearing on the left.